Free public online program from June 30 through November 3, 2021
News from Sep 17, 2021
The international short-term academic programs at Freie Universität Berlin, FU-BEST (European Studies) and FUBiS (International Summer and Winter University), are presenting their third free digital lecture series entitled “What’s Next? Voices from Dynamic Berlin.” The series features four separate live German language sessions and six pre-recorded video entries in English from disciplines as varied as history, music, environmental studies, sociology, politics, and more. “The contributions are intended to be encouraging, look ahead, and focus on resilience and positive change,“ says Dr. Dirk Verheyen, Academic Director of FU-BEST. They are designed to be interactive and entertaining with video clips, on-site visits, interviews, and performances. The digital series of events runs from June 30 to November 3.
The central question “What’s Next?” looks at Berlin as a city that is and has always been in flux. Constantly adapting to one change or another – be it cultural, societal, geographical, political, or linguistic. This lens allows our contributors to contextualize recent feelings of overwhelming uncertainty by discussing other periods of consequential change in Berlin’s history or present and examining how disruptive influences can also be a conduit for positive transformation. How did life in the city adapt to these changes and what positive lessons can be drawn from these examples of human resilience? These deliberations are not only presented in the form of lectures but made tangible for a remote international audience by including short video clips of site visits on location in Berlin, interview segments, or performances – taking the audience on an off-campus discovery tour of Berlin.
All the contributors are experienced FU-BEST or FUBiS instructors and experts in their fields. They bring their unique perspectives to the question “What’s next?” for Berlin, Germany, and Europe.
The interactive German language sessions are presented live. They take place at different times and for different recommended language skills. Please note that advance registration is required. Video recordings of the subject courses held in English will be made available on the websites www.fubis.org and www.fubest.org as well as on the YouTube channels of FU-BEST and FUBiS. The sessions are approx. 45 to 60 minutes long.
German Language Sessions – live
Please register at least one week prior to the event to receive an access code. All sessions are hosted with Cisco Webex.
- August 11, 2021 | "Von Schubert bis Rammstein: Musik der Sprache und Sprache der Musik“ – German language and culture for intermediate learners (B1 and above) – Live at 9:00 a.m. CEST (Central European Summer Time) – Please register by August 4, 2021.
- September 8, 2021 | „Alte Geschichten, neues Gedächtnis: Umdeutungen (un)bekannter Berliner Erinnerungsorte“ – German language and culture for advanced and intermediate learners (B2, C1, and above) – Live at 9:00 a.m. CEST (Central European Summer Time) – Please register by September 1, 2021.
- September 22, 2021 | „Qual der Wahl?: Institutionen, Akteure und Visionen im deutschen Wahljahr 2021“ – German language and culture for advanced and intermediate learners (B2, C1, and above) – Live at 7 p.m. CEST (Central European Summer Time) – Please register by September 15, 2021.
- October 20, 2021 | „Dynamische Identitäten in Berlin: Kiez-Entdeckungsreise in einer multikulturellen Metropole“ – German language and culture for intermediate learners (B1 and above) – Live at 7 p.m. CEST (Central European Summer Time) – Please register by October 13, 2021.
Subject Course Sessions (in English)
- June 30, 2021 | The Haunted City: The Re-Imagining(s) Of Berlin in the Twentieth Century
Presenter: Dr. Lauren van Vuuren
- July 14, 2021 | Decolonizing Classical Music: Future of Black German Musicians
Presenter: Dr. Dr. Daniele G. Daude
- July 28, 2021 | Urban Sustainability for Tomorrow’s Berlin: Moving Challenges and Creative Options
Presenter: Sebastian Olényi
- August 25, 2021 | A City in Daily Loves: An Affective Geography of Post-Migrant Berlin
Presenter: Dr. Omar Kasmani
- October 6, 2021 | Remote Connections: Reducing Distances and Promoting Inclusion through Art Experiences
Presenter: Irene Pittatore
- November 3, 2021 | Designing the Future Together: People, Planet, Technology
Presenter: Dr. Arndt Pechstein
About Freie Universität Berlin European Studies Program (FU-BEST) and Freie Universität Berlin International Summer and Winter University (FUBiS)
These international short-term study programs include German language instruction as well as a large selection of courses in a variety of subjects, many taught in English. For more information, visit www.fubest.org and www.fubis.org. Both programs have been awarded the Quality Improvement Program (QUIP) quality seal by the Forum on Education Abroad.
In response to the Covid-19 pandemic, the programs also offer academic online programs, awarding internationally recognized ECTS credits, as well as free online public lecture series. Together they organize the interactive and public online event series “BerlinTalks,” in which internationally recognized experts discuss social issues. The online courses offered by FU-BEST and FUBiS were recognized in 2020 by the initiative “Germany ‘Land of Ideas’: Beyond Crisis.”
- Panel discussion series “Berlin Talks”: www.fu-berlin.de/berlintalks
Next broadcast: September 16, 2021, 7.00 p.m.: Populism and the Future of Democracy
- Videos from the public lecture series in 2020: http://www.fubis.org/online, YouTube
- Videos from the FU-BEST public lecture series in 2020: www.fubest.org/online, YouTube
Academic Courses (on-site and online)
- FUBiS summer courses, term II and term III, 2021, and winter courses, term I, 2022: http://www.fubis.org/de
- FU-BEST fall semester in 2021 and spring semester in 2022: https://www.fu-berlin.de/en/sites/fubest/prog/features/index.html and https://www.fu-berlin.de/en/sites/fubest/online/online_fall21/index.html
Friederike Zähringer, Coordinator, Marketing & Communications, Freie Universität Berlin International Summer and Winter University FUBiS/ Freie Universität Berlin European Studies Program (FU-BEST), Tel.: +49 30 838 - 66560, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org