English-language panel discussion series “Berlin Talks” at Freie Universität Berlin, broadcast live on September 16, 2021, at 7:00 p.m. (Central European time)
On Thursday, September 16, Freie Universität Berlin’s international short-term study programs FU-BEST (European Studies) and FUBiS (International Summer and Winter University) will present an online panel discussion on “Populism and the Future of Democracy in Europe.” The discussion will feature four experts, whose research and publications deal with the phenomenon of populism in politics and society.
What forms of populism are there and why are we experiencing this phenomenon so strongly today? What role do factors such as globalization, migration, and nationalism play in this context? How has the corona pandemic affected the phenomenon of populism? Should populism be seen primarily as a threat, or does it also open up new, useful insights into the dynamics of political development in Europe? These and other questions will be the focus of the panel discussion.
The event will be live-streamed in English via Webex, and viewers are invited to participate virtually via the chat function. The event will be held in English.
- Dr. Dirk Verheyen (moderator): Academic director, FU-BEST
- Dr. Catherine Fieschi: Director of Counterpoint and senior adviser to the macro-advisory firm MAP
- Nicole Loew: Research assistant and doctoral candidate at the Otto Suhr Institute of Political Science at Freie Universität Berlin
- Prof. Dr. Sebastian Büttner: Assistant professor at the Institute of Sociology, University of Erlangen-Nürnberg, and guest professor of Macrosociology at the Institute of Sociology, Freie Universität Berlin
- Dr. Kai-Olaf Lang: Senior fellow at the German Institute for International and Security Affairs (Stiftung Wissenschaft und Politik, SWP)
Panel Discussion Broadcast
- Thursday, September 16, 2021, 7:00–8:30 p.m. CET
Live stream via Webex Events: https://fu-berlin.webex.com/fu-berlin-en/onstage/g.php?MTID=ea841ef46c5a3bc10f6fda6ca428e4157 (password: berlintalks); available later on the website www.fu-berlin.de/berlintalks as well as on the YouTube channels of FU-BEST and FUBiS, the organizers of the event.
- The event will be held in English and will be broadcast live from the Academic Senate Hall of Freie Universität Berlin.Online viewers are invited to participate via the chat function with questions and comments.
About “Berlin Talks”
This interactive and public online event series addresses social issues, discussed and examined from different perspectives by internationally recognized experts, and is organized by the international short-term study programs of Freie Universität Berlin, FU-BEST and FUBiS: www.fu-berlin.de/berlintalks
About Freie Universität Berlin European Studies Program (FU-BEST) and Freie Universität Berlin International Summer and Winter University (FUBiS)
These international short-term study programs include German language instruction as well as a large selection of courses in a variety of subjects, many taught in English. Participants can choose between a semester-long program or the summer/winter program. For more information visit www.fubest.org and www.fubis.org. Both programs have been awarded the Quality Improvement Program (QUIP) quality seal by the Forum on Education Abroad.
In response to the Covid-19 pandemic, the programs also offer academic online programs, awarding internationally recognized ECTS credits, as well as free online public lecture series. The online courses offered by FU-BEST and FUBiS were recognized in 2020 by the initiative “Germany ‘Land of Ideas’: Beyond Crisis.”
Further Online Initiatives
- “Berlin Talks” panel discussion series: www.fu-berlin.de/berlintalks
Upcoming Event: Thursday, November 18, 2021, 7:00 p.m.: “The Corona-Pandemic from a Gender Perspective: Lessons Learned?”
- FU-BEST/FUBiS free lecture series 2021 “What’s Next? – Voices from Dynamic Berlin,” June to November 2021: www.fubest.org/online and http://www.fubis.org/online
- Videos from the FUBiS public lecture series 2020: http://www.fubis.org/online and YouTube
- Videos from the FU-BEST public lecture series 2020: www.fubest.org/online and YouTube
- FU-BEST Fall semester 2021 (on site) and Spring semester 2022 (on site and online): www.fubest.org
- FUBiS term I 2022 (on site and online): http://www.fubis.org
Friederike Zähringer, Coordinator Marketing & Communications, Freie Universität Berlin International Summer and Winter University FUBiS / Freie Universität Berlin European Studies Program (FU-BEST), Tel.: +49 30 838 66560, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
News from Sep 17, 2021